Dental Emergencies – Dentist in Van Nuys
Unfortunately, dental accidents and emergencies happen. It is something that is unavoidable and should be handled accordingly. If you or someone you know is suffering from a dental emergency, the first thing to do is stay calm. Next, call your dentist.
Dental emergencies generally consist of:
- Severe toothaches
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Knocked-out teeth
- Dislodged teeth
- Lost fillings
- Lost dental crowns
- Loose or broken brackets and/or bands
- Soft tissue injuries
Precautions to avoid dental emergencies can also be taken by wearing a mouthguard while playing contact sports, avoid using your teeth for things other than chewing food (i.e. chewing ice, popcorn kernels, hard candy, etc.) or using your teeth to cut things. This is what scissors are for!
While you are waiting for your appointment with your dentist for your dental emergency, there are some measures can be taken to minimize pain and additional damage to your teeth. Some tips for common dental emergencies include:
- Keep knocked-out teeth moist at all times. Try placing the tooth back in the socket. If this is not possible, you may store the tooth between your teeth and cheek, or you may put the tooth in a small container with milk.
- For a cracked tooth, rinse your mouth with warm water and place cold compresses on your face to reduce swelling.
- If you suffer from a soft-tissue injury, clean the injured area gently with warm water and apply cold compresses.
- For toothaches, gently remove any food particles and rinse your mouth with warm water.
It is extremely important that you contact your dentist in Van Nuys as soon as possible after suffering a dental emergency. The sooner you are seen, the better chances you will have of being able to keep your natural tooth. Call us now!